A brilliant easy, tremendous fast fruit bread recipe – no proving required! St Patrick’s day all the time sends me off searching for homely, comforting Irish meals. Hearty Irish stew, massive bowls of colcannon, dotted with butter and naturally raisin flecked soda bread.
Nearly scone-like in style, raisin soda bread takes rather less effort than scones in that you simply don’t have to rub the butter and flour collectively initially. Additionally, in fact, soda bread is one big loaf – no have to get these biscuit cutters out.
Heat from the oven, it makes essentially the most divine deal with, slathered in just a little salty butter. Slightly fruit jelly additionally tastes wonderful (my youngsters’s favourite method to eat it).
Soda bread typically doesn’t hold lengthy. It’s finest to eat it inside 24 hours – because it begins to dry out just a little after that. You possibly can stretch that out by an additional day when you toast slices of it earlier than serving.
Right here’s what you’ll want:
Makes 10-12 slices
- Four cups + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- half of cup superfine sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 + 1/Four cups (packed) juicy raisins
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 massive eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/Four cup butter – melted and barely cooled
1. Preheat the oven to 350f. Line a baking tray with baking parchment or a silicone mat. In a big bowl, add all however 1 tbsp of the flour, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, raisins and salt. Combine collectively.
2. Break the eggs right into a separate bowl and whisk gently for a couple of seconds. Pour all however 1 tbsp of the egg right into a separate small bowl. Add within the buttermilk and melted butter (be sure the butter isn’t too scorching or it would scramble the eggs) to the massive bowl and stir to mix.
3. Pour the egg combination into your dry flour combination and stir – initially utilizing a wood spoon, after which your fingers – till you get a sticky dough. Don’t overmix otherwise you’ll find yourself with powerful bread.
4. Type the dough into a big ball and place on the ready baking sheet. Rating a 1-inch-deep cross into the bread – utilizing a pointy knife. Brush the reserved egg yolk all around the bread after which sprinkle with the reserved flour.
5. Place within the oven and cook dinner for 45-50 minutes till the bread is golden brown.
6. Take the bread out of the oven and depart to chill for 10 minutes (or longer) earlier than slicing up and serving with butter and jelly.